Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my dependent daughter and then she claim her baby? She meets the requirements as my dependent for the year but she is responsible for her baby.

Baby was born end of November. Just not sure how this works. Can I claim her and her claim her baby?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Can I claim my dependent daughter and then she claim her baby? She meets the requirements as my dependent for the year but she is responsible for her baby.

Yes, if your daughter and grandchild meet the requirements to be your dependent then you can claim both as dependents. Please see Who can I claim as my dependent? for the requirements.

No, your daughter cannot claim the baby if she qualifies to be your dependent.

Please make sure to indicate the baby was living all year with you when you enter the baby as a dependent. A child born during the tax year is deemed to have lived with you all year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

a dependent on another return cannot claim a dependent.

@alishasays 

if your daughter qualifies as your dependent by law a dependent can't claim a dependent. so you can claim both if you qualify. even if you're eligible but decline to claim them your daughter must mark on her return that she can be claimed as a dependent and that will bar her from claiming her child

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies