Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim my daughter as a dependent, she is 20, was a fulltime student for 1/2 of 2022, earned $14,000 so will also be filing her own return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can i claim my daughter as a dependent, she is 20, was a fulltime student for 1/2 of 2022, earned $14,000 so will also be filing her own return

you can claim her as long as she marks her own return appropriately.

@carolinesearle20 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Going through the qualifications for claiming someone as a dependent, she seems to meet most of the qualifications without an issue.  The only one that may be in question would be whether her earnings would have provided over half of her own support for the year.  If they did not, she should qualify as your dependent.

As you go through TurboTax, just answer each question as it comes with regard to including your daughter as a dependent and all of the rules and qualifications will be applied.

If she is found to be your dependent, be sure that she knows this and does not file her own return without marking that she is being claimed.  

To review the qualifications for claiming someone as a dependent, take a look at the following TurboTax help article:

Who can I claim as my dependent?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If she is a student it doesn't matter that she earned so much money.

@AnnetteB6 

@carolinesearle20 

Carl
Level 15

Requirements to claim a dependent child.

- Must be under the age of 19 on Dec 31 of the tax year

************************OR****************************

- Must be under the age of 23 on Dec 31 of the tax year and;

- Must be enrolled as a full time student for any one semester that started during the tax year, and;

- Was enrolled in a program of study that will lead to a degree or credentialed certification and;

- Was enrolled in an accredited institution and;

- Did not provide more than half of *THER* *OWN* *SUPPORT* for the entire tax year and;

- Lived with you the entire tax year. (NOTE: Time spent away from home for the primary purpose of attending school is considered to have been time spent living with you.)

Notes about the above requirements:

- There is no requirement for the parent to provide any support. Not one penny. The support requirement is on the student, and only the student. Third party income received by the student does not count for the student providing their own support. (scholarships, grants, 529 distributions, gifts from Aunt Mary, etc. etc. etc., do not count.)

- The student's earned income does not matter. They could earn a million dollars and still qualify as a dependent.

For your daughter, if she only has $14K of earned income for 2022, I seriously doubt that was anywhere near enough for her to provide more than half of her own support.  Her tuition alone could have easily exceeded $14K for the entire tax year.

If your daughter is required to file a tax return (she probably is, with more than $12,950 of her own earned income) then she must select the option for "I can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return" when completing her own tax return. If she does not select that option and you claim her as your dependent, the IRS will question both of you on it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies