turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kitkin

Can I claim my brother as a dependent if he received income from 1099 misc. and from a 1099 in 2018? Or will he have to file a separate return?

He received (as did I) a 1099 misc. for $400.91 and one for $18.15 these were both oil/gas royalties on property that we have a share in the mineral rights. Also, on some property that we own, we each received a 1099s for the sale of a small piece of that property for a pipeline easement. We each received $12,286 for this. So how do I report this income, and because of the total being $12,705.06 will I not be able to have him as a dependent on my taxes? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim my brother as a dependent if he received income from 1099 misc. and from a 1099 in 2018? Or will he have to file a separate return?

No, you cannot claim him as a dependent since his income was over $4,150 and he is not a student under 24. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies

How old is he?  How old are you?  Are either of you students?

Is this the same brother you asked about last year?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4341069-does-my-dependent-have-to-file-a-return-for-his-1099-misc-...>
kitkin

Yes, why?

Last year you said he was a dependent, and this year you are asking if he can be. What changed? Was it the one time 1099-S?
kitkin

Yes. I asked because I thought he was only allowed a certain amount of income to qualify as a dependent.

It depends on his age, whether he is a student, etc.  
kitkin

He is 50, unemployed and is not a student

No, you cannot claim him as a dependent since his income was over $4,150 and he is not a student under 24. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies