Can I claim my bf's 8 year old son? He's lived w/us over a year. My boyfriend is claiming his other 2 children. We got them through CPS, but neither parent has custody.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelliees

Can I claim my bf's 8 year old son? He's lived w/us over a year. My boyfriend is claiming his other 2 children. We got them through CPS, but neither parent has custody.

2 Replies
Critter
Level 15

Sorry no ... if the BF is required to file a return only he can claim the child. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Critter#2 is correct. You cannot claim the child, unless the boyfriend's income is under $10,350. And even then it is highly unlikely you could claim the child. Even if the child did qualify as your dependent, he cannot be a qualifying child for the earned income credit, child tax credit or Head of Household filing status, because he is not related to you.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings