taybaby2012

Can I claim head of household with my parents address, who are claiming married. I have my own house by my address is still theirs? How does this work?

MichaelDC

One of the requirements for Head of Household is to pay for half the cost of maintenance of a home for you and another qualifying person (child or relative). The address on your return won't matter but you need to qualify.

You qualify if you:

1.       Were unmarried as of December 31, 2017 and

2.       Paid more than half the cost to run your home (or the home of a qualifying parent who doesn't live with you) in 2017 (rent, mortgage, utilities, etc.) and

3.       Supported a qualifying person who lived with you.

If you were still legally married as of December 31 and a child lives with you, you may qualify for Head of Household under a slightly different set of rules. Read more*