Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amberscox

Can I claim head of household status without claiming my child as a "dependent?"

My daughter is age 23, full time student, lived with me whole year, but made over $5k income. I believe she qualifies as a "qualifying child" for me to file as Head of Household status, but she will file her own tax return so I don't want to claim her as a dependent.  Can I still file as head of household, and if so, how?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim head of household status without claiming my child as a "dependent?"

Yes, if she is 23 and a full time student, you can still claim her as a dependent AND she would be your qualifying person for Head of Household.  Her income does not factor because of her age AND student status. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4791157

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
amberscox

Note: I do NOT want to claim her as a dependent.  She will file her own taxes.

Yes, if she is 23 and a full time student, you can still claim her as a dependent AND she would be your qualifying person for Head of Household.  Her income does not factor because of her age AND student status. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4791157

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
amberscox

Thank you!  My daughter will file her own taxes though, so I do NOT want to claim her as a dependent.  Is there a way for me to file Head of Household since she meets the "qualifying child" requirements, but use her as I guess a "nondependent" so that she can still file her own taxes and claim herself.  She made actually over $20k income last year, so I do not want to add her income to mine by claiming her as my dependent.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies