Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim head of household even though my ex husband is claiming the children

I claimed the children last year but as I am doing my taxes this year it suggested filing HOH with them being non dependents since it is my ex's year to claim them. Is it ok to still file as HOH? Will it affect his taxes if I do? I am the HOH and we share custody week on week off. Is he still allowed to file HOH as well since he is also HOH of his household?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AndreaG

Can I claim head of household even though my ex husband is claiming the children

Yes, your children can qualify you to file as head of household as long as they lived with you for more than half the year and you meet all of the other requirements. In order for your exspouse to file as head of household, he would have to qualify with dependents who are NOT these same children and he would have to meet all of the other requirements. Please refer to the following FAQ to learn more about head of household filing requirements. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288637

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies