Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim daughter who gets social security due to parents disability as a dependent on my taxes?

Prior to getting SS her mother and I alternated seduction annually.  I receive the SS disability.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Can I claim daughter who gets social security due to parents disability as a dependent on my taxes?

Yes, if she doesn't provide more than half of her own support and the custodial parent waives the exemption to you.  The answer assumes you are not the custodial parent.

If she provides more than half of her own support then no one can claim her. The social security she receives because you are on social security disability is presumed to be her own funds.  There is a worksheet you can use to make the determination.

If you decide she does not provide more than half of her own support and you need a waiver signed by her custodial parent, click the form here: Form 8332:

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes, if she doesn't provide more than half of her own support and the custodial parent waives the exemption to you.  The answer assumes you are not the custodial parent.

If she provides more than half of her own support then no one can claim her. The social security she receives because you are on social security disability is presumed to be her own funds.  There is a worksheet you can use to make the determination.

If you decide she does not provide more than half of her own support and you need a waiver signed by her custodial parent, click the form here: Form 8332:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies