turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I claim anybody in my household that is over 18 years of age that I am currently supporting

Everybody but me and my girlfriend lived here all of 2017 but me and my girlfriend moved in here in the beginning of Nov of 2017

Can I claim anybody in my household that is over 18 years of age that I am currently supporting

Who took care of your nephew prior to you and your GF moving in?  Did your GF live with you for all of 2017?

@BobinCT We are not sure it is his nephew.. It may be GF's nephew,. If so, he cannot claim him, since they didn't live there all year.
"me and my girlfriend moved in here in the beginning of Nov of 2017"

"everybody but me and my GF lived here all year"

Exactly.  OP didn't live there all year, so he cannot claim any unrelated persons who did. They had to have lived together for all 12 months.

So I can't claim Eric harrington?

She may have.  That is why I asked if his GF lived with him all year.

Is Eric the 2 year old? No, you cannot claim him.

@tristansparkman: you didn't explain who took care of Eric until you and your GF moved in.  And how was he supported?

No Eric is not the 2 year old Eric lived with me and my gf at our previous home address and we were providing for him and then we moved here johns house in the beginning of Nov of 2017

Sounds like you can claim Eric, assuming no one else (like his parent) is entitled to claim him.

Me and my gf supported eric all of 2017 before we moved in to johns house so can I claim eric?

This is getting too convoluted. You said everyone else lived in the current house all year except you and your GF. Now you are throwing Eric into the mix. Who exactly is Eric, and how old is he?  What was his 2017 income? Did he move with you into the new house?  And what was your girlfriend's 2017 income?

Eric is not related to me but he's 43 but me and my gf had supported him all of last year and he did move in to johns house with us in the beginning of Nov and I have witnesses to prove that

"Supporting someone" has a specific meaning, and is just one of the requirements to be able to claim someone. That's why we ask all these questions. For example, you said you yourself receive food stamps, so your income must be low,. So how do you support all these folks?  Did Eric have any income in 2017? And we STILL need to know your Girlfriend's 2017 income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies