Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim a tax deduction for a physical injury?

Can I claim a tax deduction for medical expenses my lawyer deducted for my physical injury lawsuit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you received a settlement for physical injury then likely it is not taxable to you.  If that is the case, then the medical expenses would not be deductible for the care of the related injuries.

If you receive an amount in settlement of a personal injury suit, part of that award may be for medical expenses that you deducted in an earlier year. If it is, you must include that part in your income in the year you receive it to the extent it reduced your taxable income in the earlier year.  This would mean you itemized deductions in the earlier year and were able to use some of your medical expenses as part of those deductions.

If a settlement includes funds for future medical expenses, the amount is not taxable, but you also cannot deduct the future medical expenses except for any amount that exceeds the award.

Please add any additional details if we can be of assistance.

@rend848490 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

please clarify. why would your lawyer deduct your medical medical expenses. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you received a settlement for physical injury then likely it is not taxable to you.  If that is the case, then the medical expenses would not be deductible for the care of the related injuries.

If you receive an amount in settlement of a personal injury suit, part of that award may be for medical expenses that you deducted in an earlier year. If it is, you must include that part in your income in the year you receive it to the extent it reduced your taxable income in the earlier year.  This would mean you itemized deductions in the earlier year and were able to use some of your medical expenses as part of those deductions.

If a settlement includes funds for future medical expenses, the amount is not taxable, but you also cannot deduct the future medical expenses except for any amount that exceeds the award.

Please add any additional details if we can be of assistance.

@rend848490 

He sent me to all these hospitals, clinics, and chiro for treatments. I was awarded about $35K due to the faulty driver only having limited insurance. My lawyer deducted his fees and all the medical expenses I incurred. My medical expenses were reduced to $11K plus, I received $8K which was not enough to buy me a car to replace my car which was totaled out. I wanted to know if I can deduct my $11K medical expenses so I can reduce my tax due.

My accident only happened early last year. My claim closed this year. I was going to claim it for 2023. However, I will not claim the deduction if I still have to add it next year for 2024. Thank you so much for the clarification.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If the $11K has been reimbursed as a part of your settlement, then you cannot deduct the expenses.

@rend848490 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies