Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cakennis

Can I change the name and info of the spouse without starting over? I accidently changed the name of the spouse to his name because I was confused about who should be listed as the filer and who should be listed as the Spouse. I have already completed the

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I change the name and info of the spouse without starting over? I accidently changed the name of the spouse to his name because I was confused about who should be listed as the filer and who should be listed as the Spouse. I have already completed the

You cannot change the primary taxpayer but you can correct the spouse ... log in and go to the MY INFO section. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you already entered income information, and you are trying to change the order of the names, you will not be able to do it successfully. Trying to change the names will cause numerous errors in your tax return that you will never be able to straighten out. You should just clear the return and start over from scratch.

If you filed a joint return last year with the same spouse, you have to keep the names in the same order that they were in on the previous return. The IRS instructions for Form 1040 (page 17) say "If you filed a joint return for 2017 and you are filing a joint return for 2018 with the same spouse, be sure to enter your names and SSNs in the same order as on your 2017 return."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies