turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I be an independent even when on my parents health insurance?

I pay for 90% of my expenses, including my car, rent, school tuition and all utilities. My parents still pay for my health insurance though. I was unable to claim my student loan last year because they are in my name, but I was considered a dependent. 

Am I able to claim myself as an independent if I remain on my parents health insurance plan?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You have to have paid over half your expenses for over half the year. If this is true then you can file yourself and no one else can claim you as a dependent. Even being on your parents health insurance.

Yes you are considered independent because you supported more than half of your expenses.

It would be incorrect to be filed as dependent of your parents since you pay for everything almost.

I also encourage you to file independent because that will also effect any financial aid (college) available to you for the worse.

I’m in the same boat as you. I cover most of my own expenses however I’m on my parents health insurance and do not want to loose that. Can you give me insight on what you did? 

GloriaL
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax when you begin your tax return, there is a question about whether you can be claimed as a dependent.  Go to the Personal Info section and select edit next to your name. Go to the third question labeled a few things we need to know. In there is asks can someone else claim me as a dependent, on their tax return. Answer no. Because you pay more than half of your support, you are able to claim yourself, even though your parents have you on their health insurance.

@Candacenegri4197

Hal_Al
Level 15

Being on your parents health insurance has nothing to with you being a dependent. 

See full dependent rules at: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

The opposite may not be true.  Your parents  insurance plan may require  you to be a dependent.  But my understanding of Obamacare is that they have to accept you thru age 26, regardless of dependency. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies