Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i add my unemployed Boyfriend as dependant

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Yes, you can claim a boyfriend as a dependent on your federal income taxes if that person meets the IRS definition of a "qualifying relative." Take any unemployment benefits he received during the year into account.

Don't worry about the word "relative".  That can be any unrelated person who passes the following tests concerning residency, income, support and status.

• Do they live with you? Your boyfriend must live at your residence all year. However, if your living situation violates local law, you cannot claim that individual as a dependent. In some states, "cohabitation" by unmarried people is against the law.
  • Do they make less than $4,050? They cannot have a gross income of more than $4,050 and be claimed by you as a dependent. 
  • Do you financially support them? You must provide more than half of their total support each year. 

The following requirements apply to all dependents:

• Are they a citizen or resident? The person must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, a U.S. resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. Many people wonder if they can claim a foreign-exchange student who temporarily lives with them. The answer is maybe, but only if they meet this requirement.
  • Are you the only person claiming them as a dependent? You can’t claim someone who takes a personal exemption for himself or claims another dependent on his own tax form.

TurboTax will ask you simple, plain-English questions about your situation and will determine for you who qualifies as a dependent on your tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Yes, you can claim a boyfriend as a dependent on your federal income taxes if that person meets the IRS definition of a "qualifying relative." Take any unemployment benefits he received during the year into account.

Don't worry about the word "relative".  That can be any unrelated person who passes the following tests concerning residency, income, support and status.

• Do they live with you? Your boyfriend must live at your residence all year. However, if your living situation violates local law, you cannot claim that individual as a dependent. In some states, "cohabitation" by unmarried people is against the law.
  • Do they make less than $4,050? They cannot have a gross income of more than $4,050 and be claimed by you as a dependent. 
  • Do you financially support them? You must provide more than half of their total support each year. 

The following requirements apply to all dependents:

• Are they a citizen or resident? The person must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, a U.S. resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. Many people wonder if they can claim a foreign-exchange student who temporarily lives with them. The answer is maybe, but only if they meet this requirement.
  • Are you the only person claiming them as a dependent? You can’t claim someone who takes a personal exemption for himself or claims another dependent on his own tax form.

TurboTax will ask you simple, plain-English questions about your situation and will determine for you who qualifies as a dependent on your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies