Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can deceased spouse 1099-R Income be added to my 1040?

Husband died 12/22. I am sole beneficiary. No probate. State of Washington. I filed married joint for 2022 taxes and noted he was deceased. I received a 2023 $3, 200 1099-R for him.  It has his SSN on it. I received all his assets and paid all bills. For 2023, can I file a 1040 as single and include the $3,200 income on this return (per in respect to decedent)? We have no TIN for him and did not file a 1041, since all came to me. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can report this income on your tax return.  Report it in TurboTax as if it has your name and Social Security number on it.  If the e-file rejects you'll need to file by mail, but it is worth transmitting to see if it will go through (it may well.) 

The IRS automated matching systems will report missing income in the fall, but they rarely complain about extra income.  There is a slight chance you will receive some sort of inquiry from the IRS (but I'd guess a very slight chance) so just be sure to keep your documents readily accessible for at least 3 years so you're able to answer if they follow up in some way.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

sorry for your loss. Did you report the death to the trustee so the SSN on the account would be changed to yours.

as heir, the income needs to be reported on your 1040, but his SSN on the 1099 might cause e-file issues.   contact the trustee to see if a corrected  1099-R can be issued and provide them with whatever documentation they need to switch the SSN to yours. 

Thank you. The death was reported to the trustee. One 1099R is in his name and social security number. The other 10RR is in her name and social security number.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can report this income on your tax return.  Report it in TurboTax as if it has your name and Social Security number on it.  If the e-file rejects you'll need to file by mail, but it is worth transmitting to see if it will go through (it may well.) 

The IRS automated matching systems will report missing income in the fall, but they rarely complain about extra income.  There is a slight chance you will receive some sort of inquiry from the IRS (but I'd guess a very slight chance) so just be sure to keep your documents readily accessible for at least 3 years so you're able to answer if they follow up in some way.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you SusanY1, I almost did exactly that but thought I had better check with someone with more insight than myself.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies