Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can An employed physician be penalized for failure to pay estimated quarterly taxes. My AGI went from 345 to 371(22 to 23 returns) I paid 21K in 22 with no penalty

I paid 20k this year. IRS states I owe them 500 in penalty. I have never paid quarterly estimated taxes in 40 years.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can An employed physician be penalized for failure to pay estimated quarterly taxes. My AGI went from 345 to 371(22 to 23 returns) I paid 21K in 22 with no penalty

The IRS will not charge you an underpayment penalty if:
  1. You pay at least 90% of the tax you owe for the current year, or 100% of the tax you owed for the previous tax year, or.
  2. You owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting withholdings and credits.

since it seems your AGI for 2022 was over $150K you have to pay in on estimates and withholding either 90% of 2023 tax or $110% (not 100%) of your 2022 tax.

the same rules apply for 2024.

pay in through withholding and timely estimates 90% of 2024 tax or 110% of 2023 tax. 

Are you a W-2 employee? a jump in income could cause a problem.

You have the option to ask IRS to calculate your penalty instead of TurboTax in which case do not pay the penalty now.

I don't understand the claim by others the TurboTax penalty is an estimate.

Other tax software calculates the correct penalty, not an "estimate" that IRS has to correct.

@48908d580c30 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies