turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

levesjp

Can a RI resident filing married seperately can I file married jointly status for federal filing?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

Can a RI resident filing married seperately can I file married jointly status for federal filing?

No, because Rhode Island requires the same filing status used on the federal return.

Exception: If one spouse is a resident, and the other is a nonresident, they must file separate returns, unless they elect to file a joint return as if both were residents of Rhode Island. If the resident spouse files a separate return in Rhode Island, and a joint federal return is filed for both spouses, the resident spouse must compute income, exemptions, and tax as if a separate federal return had been filed. If neither spouse is required to file a federal return, they may elect to file a joint Rhode Island return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

No, because Rhode Island requires the same filing status used on the federal return.

Exception: If one spouse is a resident, and the other is a nonresident, they must file separate returns, unless they elect to file a joint return as if both were residents of Rhode Island. If the resident spouse files a separate return in Rhode Island, and a joint federal return is filed for both spouses, the resident spouse must compute income, exemptions, and tax as if a separate federal return had been filed. If neither spouse is required to file a federal return, they may elect to file a joint Rhode Island return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies