Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hlindrake

Can a car repo send a 1099c say that the car loan place americredit sold the car then sent a 1099c to th IRS stating i made $5000 in Huston Texas which i have never been.

I didnt even know about the 1099c untill about 8 months ago..the added it to my 2014 taxes which supposable made it look like i did my taxes wrong and made it look like i now owe the IRS $5330 so the Irs took my 2016 refund the whole $5227...i was really counting on that money. I had lost my job in November due to it going out of business ..i had bills to pay..now im trully in debt credit report going down and now i am about to loss my house.. All because of a car that got repo in 2009..and i guess the sold car and sent a 1099cto IRS in 2014...please help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Patrice

Can a car repo send a 1099c say that the car loan place americredit sold the car then sent a 1099c to th IRS stating i made $5000 in Huston Texas which i have never been.

Yes, this definitely can happen because the 1099-C has been reported to the IRS. This document reports income from the forgiveness of debt, in your case your car loan. The IRS considers this to be taxable income.

The creditor can  issue a 1099-C years after your repossession. The IRS says "a debt is deemed canceled on the date an identifiable event occurs or, if earlier, the date of the actual discharge if you choose to file Form 1099-C for the year of cancellation."  See page 4 here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099ac.pdf for what is considered an "identifiable event."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies