Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California non-resident state return: Capital Loss Carryover question

First-time to file a nonresident California return for a small amount of wage income for a temporary job.   I don't understand what all California is doing with capital loss carryover even after reading the instructions in the actual tax booklet (which are less than stellar) and on the CA capital loss form.

On the Federal side, I have had a large capital loss carryover going back 2-3 years, and thus get a $ -3,000 loss for 2023 on the Federal return. Since all of that capital loss was incurred as a nonresident outside California in past years, I assume I enter 0 for any 2023 California Capital Loss. And I assume the remaining capital loss carryforward for future years remains only Federal and $0 for any future California Capital Loss Carryforward?   Does that sound right?   If not, hopefully someone will explain.  Thanks!

By the way, I have none of the special kinds of gains/losses where the handling of California capital loss differs from the Federal handling.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Yes, that sounds right. Since all of that capital loss was incurred as a nonresident outside California in past years, enter 0 for any 2023 California Capital Loss and $0 for any future California Capital Loss Carryforward because the gain/loss is considered a non-California source capital gains and losses.

For more information: ftb.ca.gov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Yes, that sounds right. Since all of that capital loss was incurred as a nonresident outside California in past years, enter 0 for any 2023 California Capital Loss and $0 for any future California Capital Loss Carryforward because the gain/loss is considered a non-California source capital gains and losses.

For more information: ftb.ca.gov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies