Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dave7924

California Form 3840

California Form 3840 is intended only for exchanges involving out of State property acquisition. But TurboTax incorrectly generated a Form 3840 for my CY2021 tax, even though my exchange was in-State only. How do I close out Form 3840 for my CY2022 tax? It is more complicated than just removing the form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

California Form 3840

All taxpayers, regardless of residence status or commercial domicile, who exchange real property located in California for like-kind property located outside of California, must file form FTB 3840 with their California tax return. See here for California information on like-kind exchanges.

TurboTax will prepare the form and include it with the California return.

If you didn't exchange California property for property located outside of California, and deleting the form doesn't resolve the issue, you could try deleting the California return and starting over. 

Review your entries in the Federal return regarding the property exchange before redoing the California return to make sure there aren't any entries that could indicate that the replacement property is located out of state. 

I have not found any current reported issues with this form. Please let us know if you continue to have this issue after taking the steps above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies