Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DDH204

Calculating AMT Depreciation for Rental Property

We sold a property in May 2023 that was purchased and used as a rental between 2013 and 2020 and then  used as our primary resident beginning January 1, 2021.  I can track the amount of depreciation that was claimed during the rental years.  I cannot determine or find the AMT depreciation.  Where can I find this or how can I calculate this amount, please.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Calculating AMT Depreciation for Rental Property

It depends.  In your current or 2022 tax return you should be able to see any AMT variance for depreciation on the worksheets in your tax file.  If you have only the rental house on depreciation there is no AMT.  If you have appliances you may have used accelerated depreciation such as Section 179 for those assets.

What is AMT depreciation?

Prior AMT depreciation is the amount of depreciation for special depreciation allowance or an accelerated depreciation. If you did not do that, then the AMT depreciation will be the same as the accumulated depreciation number. The accumulated depreciation is the amount of depreciation that should have been taken even if you did not take it. That amount is 'recaptured' and you pay taxes on it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies