turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Calculating Adjusted Cost Basis on ESPP in another currency

I have a 1099-B for an ESPP account where I do not receive a discount, but rather a match of shares when contributing. It looks like the 1099-B does not have a cost basis for the matched shares I sold in 2023, and I never received a Form 3922 so I can't figure out the cost basis. There is information on the plan administrators site in terms of the purchase price of those shares, but to make matters more complicated, the shares are in a Non USD currency. How do I calculate the cost basis of these shares? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Calculating Adjusted Cost Basis on ESPP in another currency

You need to determine what the value of the shares were when you acquired them. That should be reported on your W-2 form as wage income in the year you received the matched shares. If so, you may be able to look on the W-2 form to see what the ESPP income is and divide that by the number of matched shares received to get the cost per share. You can then multiply that by the number of shares sold to get the cost basis. Or, the value of the shares may be listed on the company website as you mention. Since they are listed in foreign currency, you need to look up the foreign exchange rate on or around the date you acquired the shares and use it to convert the foreign currency amount to US dollars.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies