Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bypass trust estimated tax calculation

I have a Bypass trust which files tax return for investment income each year. In 2021. there was very little income earned. As a result, the tax liability for federal is only a few hundred dollars and there is no tax liability for CA tax (I live in CA). My tax accountant calculated my 2022 estimated tax for the trust and showed a few hundred dollars for Federal tax, but more than $40K for CA tax (She simply applied all my CA refund in the amount of more than $40K to my 2022 estimated tax). I ask her how come my state estimated tax is so much and it is more than Federal tax. She told me that federal estimated tax is calculated based on my 2021 tax return, but state estimated tax follows $2020 tax return. Since I have applied all my tax refund in 2020 to my 2021 estimated tax, therefore, I should again apply all my 2021 refund to my 2022 estimated tax. It totally make no sense to me.  Is my accounted correct for 2022 CA estimate tax calculation (I.e., based on 2020 tax, not 2021 tax)?

Thank!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Take a look at the FTB web site at the link below.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2021/2021-541-es-instructions.html

As a general principle, you should follow your tax accountant's advice unless you firmly believe that it is in error, in which case you should get a second opinion from another local tax professional.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Take a look at the FTB web site at the link below.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2021/2021-541-es-instructions.html

As a general principle, you should follow your tax accountant's advice unless you firmly believe that it is in error, in which case you should get a second opinion from another local tax professional.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will just go with what my tax accountant has suggested. After all, any overpayment will be refunded at the end of tax year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies