Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bug on Form 8615 D Worksheet PAGE 2

Hi,

I'm filling out a tax return for my son. I noticed when I filled out the "Child's Income (under 24)" section that there is a sudden and huge jump in tax owed. Way over the amount he made (taxed about $6300 for $2500 in taxable income). So, I dug into Form 8615 in form view:

On the SECOND PAGE, the Family's Aggregate page - if line 21 is zero, then line 44 is blank (not zero as expected). This is a bug. If line 21 is zero then the calculated tax on zero should be zero.

If line 44 is blank, then line 45 is also blank since 44 is blank.

Then on the line 47 calculation - "Enter the smaller of line 45 or line 46" - the program picks line 46 as the SMALLER since line 45 is blank rather than being zero.

SUMMARY: The tax calculation on Form 8615 D Worksheet incorrectly leaves line 44 blank when calculated tax should be zero.

The only workaround would be to override line 44 to enter zero, but that fails pre-checks and according to documentation would make electronic filing impossible.  Again, this error is happening on the SECOND PAGE, the Family Aggregate page. Since this bug blocks filing, it needs to be a P1 bug. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies