Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Box 16 differs from Box 1

I am a resident of Idaho.  I work in Washington State.  There is no state income tax in Washington.  My employer withholds a percentage to cover Idaho State taxes from my pay.  I received my W2, and the Idaho wages in box 16 do not match my federal wages in box 1.  It matches my SS and Medicare wages in boxes 3 and 5.  I think this is an error in reporting by my employer.  According to instructions I find on the Idaho Tax website and state controller website.  My wages for box 16 should match box 1, not another amount since I lived in Idaho full time.  Here is an excerpt from the State Controller: (Emphasis mine)

Tax Status: A deduction is listed as one of the following three Tax Status’.
Pre-FICA – The deduction is subtracted before calculating the employee’s FICA, Federal Tax, State Tax and Unemployment amounts. It is not included in any taxable gross and is not included in any wages reported on the W-2.
Pre-Tax – The deduction is subtracted before calculating the employee’s Federal and State Tax amounts. It is not included in the Federal and State Taxable Grosses. This deduction is included in the Social Security and Medicare Wages on the W-2, but not the Federal and State Wages.
Blank – If the field is blank for a deduction, the deduction is included in all taxable grosses and all wages on the W-2.
Also on the Idaho State Tax Commission website page with instructions for filling out the W2, it clearly states that box 16 should match box 1.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

@ResidentReturn  regardless of what your w-2 has in box 16, your state return will start with Federal adjusted gross income.  You allocate from there.  you will be fine in continuing your return.

Line 7 Federal Adjusted Gross Income
Enter your federal adjusted gross income from
Form 1040 or 1040-SR, line 11.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
maglib
Level 11

@ResidentReturn  regardless of what your w-2 has in box 16, your state return will start with Federal adjusted gross income.  You allocate from there.  you will be fine in continuing your return.

Line 7 Federal Adjusted Gross Income
Enter your federal adjusted gross income from
Form 1040 or 1040-SR, line 11.

***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question

Thanks for the info. That makes sense.  I was forgetting what the actual form looks like if filled out manually.  I was only focusing on what I fill in and what shows in the web portal. When I fill in the boxes on TT, should I put in the correct amount, or what is showing on the W2?  Thanks again!

maglib
Level 11

Enter the w-2 as you received it.  The tax return will process correctly. It is a resident return so it will tax all income in box 1.  

Thanks - you have been very helpful!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies