Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Borrowers Defense/Student Loans

Good Afternoon, 

As of Aug 2023, I was approved for Borrower's Defense Against Repayment for my student loans. The total debt including interest that was written off was $45,000, without interest 28,334.00.  I live in Tennessee. I have not received the Cancellation of Debt form yet, but I do have all the letters from Nelnet, StudentAid.gov and US Dept of Education showing my approval. All of the student loan debt has been removed from my credit history, as well. Will this affect my return next year? Will I need to include this in my income? Will I be required to pay taxes on it? Is it easier to pay for someone to sit down and go over and complete my taxes for me OR is it an easy process using TurboTax? I am due for a small refund of $1,109, will that affect anything? Thank you for your assistance with my questions. This event is greatly appreciated! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MelanieCPA
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @Dailey 

Glad to hear that you were approved for the Borrower Defense To Repayment for your student loans.  Federal loans that are discharged based on the Closed School or Defense to Repayment discharge process loan forgiveness under Borrower Defense to Repayment is not treated as taxable under federal law.

And because you live in Tennessee, you do not prepare a state income tax return.

If you receive any additional information from the lenders or tax notices TurboTax will help walk you through these questions.  Remember we also offer Live Help and our Full Service tax assistance as well that you can use as you prepare your tax return for 2023.

Thank you!

Melanie

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MelanieCPA
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @Dailey 

Glad to hear that you were approved for the Borrower Defense To Repayment for your student loans.  Federal loans that are discharged based on the Closed School or Defense to Repayment discharge process loan forgiveness under Borrower Defense to Repayment is not treated as taxable under federal law.

And because you live in Tennessee, you do not prepare a state income tax return.

If you receive any additional information from the lenders or tax notices TurboTax will help walk you through these questions.  Remember we also offer Live Help and our Full Service tax assistance as well that you can use as you prepare your tax return for 2023.

Thank you!

Melanie

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies