Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bonus Depreciation and DeMinimis

Hello,

So I’m clear about my next steps and before I move on to post my expenses I’d like your advice on the following:

1. Elected the De Minimis and the Special Depreciation allowance in TT for my rental property 2023 expenses

2. In 2023 I spent $2000 on new garage door, $5,094 on new carpet and $13,900 on new kitchen cabinets as well as other smaller assets/expenses totaling $30K

3. I entered these three as Added Assets and was expecting 100% deduction for the garage door (<$2500 DeMinimis) and 80% deduction for the carpet and  cabinets under the Special Depreciation allowance

4. Instead, TT ignored the De Minimis option, reduced the deduction to 80% on all three assets and posted it as depreciation in line 18 on Schedule E as well as in the Depreciation Report as Special Depreciation Allowance

5. Entering the garage door as expense in Line 19 on Schedule E (Other) and the carpet/cabinets as assets TT posted 100% deduction for the garage door and 80% for the carpet/cabinets as hoped Questions:

My questions are:

1. Are my two entries in 5 above correct? Specifically entering the door in line 19 on Schedule E?

2. If so, should I list the other sub $2,500 expenses (I have some 20 of them) in Other (line 19) item by item as they appear on the invoice or is there a way to consolidate?

Thank You,

Spichon

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Bonus Depreciation and DeMinimis

1. Your entries in line 5 are correct.

2. You can consolidate the other expenses you have if they don't total up to more than $2,500.  If they will then enter them separately.

@spichon 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies