Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ADMS

Billed for a state I did not file with TurboTax

To put it bluntly, the TurboTax refund policy leaves a lot to be desired.  After the credit card information was entered for e-filing, I did one last review of the state I work in, but not live in, and continued to see errors on how TurboTax's software handled the reciprocity agreements between the states.  I decided to do it by hand and consult with a local tax expert on how to do it correctly so I deleted that state.  There was nothing to file.  After deletion, I e-filed and then was billed for the state that was deleted.  

I brought this to the attention of TurboTax last night and this morning and they won't budge.  I keep getting this automated message about their terms of service and how billing happens at the time of e-file.  Yes, I understand that, but let me repeat this again for the cheap seats:

TURBOTAX IS BILLING FOR A STATE THAT WAS NOT PAPER- OR E-FILED AND REFUSES TO REFUND THE CHARGE.

I have been a TurboTax customer for decades now, but this leaves an awful taste in my mouth and this is likely going to be the last year using them.  That is crooked and corrupt and their automated refusal to do anything about refunding over $40 is dirty business.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The state is free to work with and you make the decision to pay for it if you are satisfied.  There is no charge for efiling or paper filing.   Once you pay for it, it is no longer free and not refundable.   Although it does not seem fair in your case, many people would just use the software and then ask for it to be refunded if it was easy to do that.

i have a similar situation - but i cannot find a means of even speaking to a human to discuss the situation. i will definitely think about my options next year before i waste any more money on intuit. they automatically loaded my son's state, ohio, because i did his taxes first. then it charged me $45 for oregon and $45 montana and didn't allow the option of MARRIED FILING SEPARATE for montana, so i had to send it to an accountant, now i'll have to pay him to fix it. i am very frustrated. 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

See this help article and this one for instructions on how to contact TurboTax customer support depending on which product you are using.

See this help article for information on how to request a refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies