Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmd
Level 3

Billed by CA FTB for underpayment of Estimated Tax Penalty

Hello, TT for 2021 CA 540 (joint return) calculated a $5 penalty for underpayment of estimated taxes.  However, now we just received a bill from CA FTB for an additional $141, saying that "Estimated Tax Penalty" was $146 and not just $5.  Why did TurboTax tell us the penalty was only $5?  It generated Form 5805, but it says only $5 penalty owed.

Note that our monthly income in 2021 was unusual in that I retired in early 1Q2021.  Secondly, my spouse started a new job and did not have income until late 1Q2021.  In addition to this, I had additional income from inheritance of stock mid-2021, which paid out dividends in 3Q2021 and 4Q2021.  And then I also had an inherited K-1, but that was offset by a loss.  In addition to withholding, I paid estimated taxes to CA but apparently not enough.  Taxes owed in 2021 were $1381 plus the $5 penalty.  But now CA is billing us for $141 more.  They don't explain why.  Total tax liability was $13839, and we paid $6801 in withholding and $5657 in estimates, total.  So, 90% of $13839 = $12455.10.  We paid $12458, so paid more than 90% owed.  Yet, we are we getting billed a $146 penalty instead of the $5 indicated by TurboTax?  I don't understand why TurboTax thought we only owed $5 instead of $146.  Would annualizing our income have made a difference since it was spread unevenly in 2021?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Billed by CA FTB for underpayment of Estimated Tax Penalty

many times the dates for estimated tax payments entered by the taxpayer don't match what the feds or state use.  if CA did not send you a calculation call them. there should be a number on the notice.

we have no way of knowing if the annualized income method would reduce the penalty. you would have to complete the calculations. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies