Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Best way to enter my W4 that maximizes my net income while minimizing my tax return

Hi,

I file jointly (gross income is approx $215,000) and we both claim 0 dependents on our W4s but yet we owed $3000 in taxes.  What is the best way to fill out our W4 that maximizes our net income while reducing our amount of taxes owed?  For this year, I started withholding an extra amount to account for a possible $3000 amount owed this year ($115 held every paycheck - 26 paychecks in a year).  Any advise is appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JBedford
Employee Tax Expert

Best way to enter my W4 that maximizes my net income while minimizing my tax return

Hi, @Steddy73 ! Honestly? You have already done exactly what I would have advised you to do. 🙂 The $115 extra withholding sounds like an ideal solution to me! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BonnieI
Expert Alumni

Hi @Steddy73  thank you for reaching out.  To avoid owing at the end of the year you can make estimated payments or you can adjust the amount of withholding for each paycheck on Form W4 Line 4(c).  

Please use our TurboTax's TaxCaster tax calculator to determine your estimated income and withholding, see following link:

Free Tax Calculators & Money Saving Tools 2022-2023 | TurboTax® Official

Visit IRS.gov to set up your online account using the following link:

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

Here are some tax saving tips to review:

6 Tax-saving Strategies and Tips from TurboTax Experts - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

Please reach out if you have additional questions, thank you for using TurboTax!

*Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies