Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Becton Dickinson (BD) acquisition of C.R. Bard (BCR) - what kind of merger/acquisition is this called?

Prior to 2018, mergers involving stocks I held were exchanges of stock.  Company A shareholders get X shares of Company B.    Negligible impact on federal income taxes.

However, I saw in Jan 2018 a forced stock sale of all  200 BCR shares I held.  In exchange,  I received $223.95 per share plus 101 shares of BD plus cash in lieu of fractional share.    All this is consistent with BD investor FAQs.  http://investors.bd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=64106&p=irol-BardFAQ

The BCR stocks were acquired in 1986, so the basis is low and the cap gains hit is painful.   If I'd been paying more attention to BCR investor news, I would have seen this coming in mid-2017.    

What kind of merger/acquisition is this called where stocks of the company being acquired are sold not exchanged for shares of the acquiring company?  I'd like to pay better attention to my other stocks. 

Thanks, hope my question makes sense.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Becton Dickinson (BD) acquisition of C.R. Bard (BCR) - what kind of merger/acquisition is this called?

not sure there is a name for it, but anytime there is a cash component to the merger, there are tax implications as you can't control the fact that you are giving up some of your stock for cash.

when there is an 'all stock' deal, there typically are no taxes to be paid (but that is not an absolute) because you are trading stock for stock and don't receive cash.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies