Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Balance on the date of withdrawal for Net Income Attributable calculation for excess contribution withdrawal.

Hi,

To calculate Net Income Attributable, I need to know the balance on the date of withdrawal.

If I am submitting my request for withdrawal in the morning of a trading day, the balance will likely not be the same by the end of the day.

How is one supposed to handle this? Wait for the market to close and then submit the request (I don't want to do this because I'm already cutting it close to the tax deadline).  or do I use the balance at the close of the previous day i.e. the balance before the market opens that day?

Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Balance on the date of withdrawal for Net Income Attributable calculation for excess contribution withdrawal.

The custodian normally asks only for the amount of contribution to be returned (not for the adjusted amount to be distributed) and performs the transaction after the close of the market, doing the NIA calculation for you when processing your request.  If the custodian does not take this responsibility, yes, that does create the  complication that you describe.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

The custodian normally asks only for the amount of contribution to be returned (not for the adjusted amount to be distributed) and performs the transaction after the close of the market, doing the NIA calculation for you when processing your request.  If the custodian does not take this responsibility, yes, that does create the  complication that you describe.

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately Robinhood is putting the onus of the NIA calculation on the customer, and after contacting their chat support, it seems they will just use the numbers we provide.  Weird but ok....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies