Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Backdoor Roth issue

I screwed up and had still funds in my traditional IRA. I made a non-deuctible contribution to the IRA and then moved it to Roth. I learned that I now have to pay taxes on part of it because I had already funds in the traditional IRA.  And I will have a left over basis because if it in 2021.

I found this https://www.lordabbett.com/en-us/financial-advisor/insights/retirement-planning/when-the-rev[product...

"Basis - Do you have a traditional IRA that contains after-tax dollars (basis)? Usually, when  any traditional IRA you own (including SEP and SIMPLE accounts) contains both pre-tax (tax-deductible contribution plus earnings) and after-tax money, a withdrawal (e.g., rollover, Roth conversion, RMD, normal distribution etc.) is partially taxable (referred to as the IRS “pro-rata” rule), and the calculation and tax report is onerous. Learn more herehow to avoid being taxed twice on your retirement savings.

You’re not permitted to do a reverse rollover of after-tax (non-deductible) IRA funds. Instead, only pre-tax IRA funds qualify for reverse rollover treatment. This rule at first glance may seem unfavorable. In reality, it offers the ability to “split” IRA pre-tax and after-tax dollars, which in turn offers a potential tax-free Roth conversion!

EXAMPLE: Ben has a $100,00 traditional IRA of which $30,000 consists of basis (after-tax funds), and the remaining $70,000 is pre-tax. Since a 401(k) can only accept pre-tax funds, the basis can’t be rolled over and must remain in his IRA. After Ben rolls over the $70,000 to his 401(k), what’s left in his IRA ($30,000) is all after-tax dollars, which can now be converted to a Roth IRA, free of taxes. Why? Because taxes had previously been paid on these funds, there is no tax bill for the Roth conversion."

Can I do that like he says in 2022 to move the pre-tax  funds to 401k and have the basis left in the IRA? To be able to do backdoor Roth without issues in the future?

@dmertz 

@Opus 17

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Backdoor Roth issue

Yes, if you have a 401(k) that will accept such a rollover, you can roll the pre-tax money over to the 401(k).  Only pre-tax money is permitted to be rolled from a traditional IRA to a 401(k), so this would leave the basis in your traditional IRAs.  This won't help with any Roth conversion that you did in 2021 but it will help with conversions going forward.

Backdoor Roth issue

If your IRA continues to grow (it is supposed to) you will still have a taxable amount on any future  Roth conversion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies