Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

runs

Back Door Roth IRA Not Working

I have been following the procedure posted online in the past several years to enter data about back door Roth IRA conversion.  The procedure worked until this year.  Turbotax now flags the distribution from 1099R as taxable.

As a test, I deleted the existing return from TurboTax and started a new one.  I entered the 1099R data first and TurboTax did not mark the distribution as taxable.  However, once I imported the w2 form, the distribution became taxable.  What is TurboTax keying on to mark the 1099R distribution as taxable?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

It is difficult to determine what information on a W-2 affected the entry of your Form 1099-R for a Traditional IRA to Roth IRA conversion.  

When you enter the Form 1099-R before you have entered the non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution, the distribution may be taxed when you answer that it was converted to a Roth IRA.  At that point, the basis of the Traditional IRA has not been entered.  

Take a look at the following TurboTax help article for step-by-step instructions to enter the backdoor Roth IRA conversion into your return:

How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I use this site every year. Check it to see if your entries match theirs. 

https://thefinancebuff.com/how-to-report-backdoor-roth-in-turbotax.html

runs

Based on information in one of your links, I enter data about the non-deductible traditional IRA.  Once I do that, TurboTax knows the distribution comes from the traditional IRA contribution and it becomes a wash.  Now it flags the distribution as non-taxable.  Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies