Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

B

We pay estimated taxes every year.  As I understand the IRS rules, we can pay the prior year tax or estimate your current year income and pay at least 90% of that amount.  I blindly accepted TurboTax suggestion last year which caused a bit of overpayment.  Before using TurboTax, I simply would use my prior year tax as my current year estimate.  TurboTax calculates a number that is greater than the prior year tax, at least for my case for the 2023 and 2024 tax years.  How does TT calculate the estimated  taxes for the current year when it does so as part of the tax filing?

Not using real numbers, but let’s assume I paid $50,000 in taxes for 2023.  I would assume 4 payments of $12,500 ($50,000/4) but TT is generating a higher number akin to $13,500 which totals $54,000.  I know I can do my own calcs but just wanted to know the basis for TT calcs.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

B

It looks like Turbotax's choices for calculating estimated tax payments are

- 100% of your prior year's taxes owed (or 110% if your income was over a certain threshold)

- 90% or 100% of what you estimate you'll owe for the current year

- 66.667% of what you estimate you'll owe if you're a qualified farmer or fisherman

The 110% calculation is used if your AGI is greater than $75,000 for single and separate filers and $150,000 for married filing joint, so perhaps that's what it's doing for you?

More info here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/small-business-taxes/estimated-taxes-how-to-determine-what-to-p... 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

B

There are special rules for higher income taxpayers.

The IRS says on page 1 of this document:

If your adjusted gross income (AGI) for 2023 was more than $150,000 ($75,000 if your filing status for 2024 is married filing separately), substitute 110% for 100% in (2b) under General Rule, earlier. This rule doesn’t apply to farmers or fishermen.

So to avoid the penalty, you have to pay 90% of this year's taxes or 110% of the previous year's taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

B

It looks like Turbotax's choices for calculating estimated tax payments are

- 100% of your prior year's taxes owed (or 110% if your income was over a certain threshold)

- 90% or 100% of what you estimate you'll owe for the current year

- 66.667% of what you estimate you'll owe if you're a qualified farmer or fisherman

The 110% calculation is used if your AGI is greater than $75,000 for single and separate filers and $150,000 for married filing joint, so perhaps that's what it's doing for you?

More info here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/small-business-taxes/estimated-taxes-how-to-determine-what-to-p... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies