Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

barristan17
Returning Member

Avoiding Tax Underpayment - Last Year's Tax

For determining if an underpayment penalty is due for a tax return, I have a question on the actual number used to roll up to whether a penalty is applied.

I am expecting that I will be  over $150,000 on my adjusted gross income for 2022 and to avoid any underpayment penalty I was planning to make sure I pay in at least 110% of last year's income tax to be safe.

On Form 1040-ES it is stated I shouldn't need to pay estimated tax if :"You expect your withholding and refundable credits to be less than the smaller of 100% of the tax shown on your 2021 tax return."

Because my income is over $150k, I am replacing this line to say per the instructions in the sheet "110% of the tax shown on your 2021 tax return."

Would any form of tax payment for 2022, not just withholding on my paycheck, roll up to the sum of determining if I paid in 110% of last year's tax, or is it strictly withholding for the purpose of determining if I have to pay a penalty? For example, I amended my federal return for 2021 and applied the refund to my next year's tax in 2022 - would this amount be included in the value to reach 110%? Also, would manual tax payments on IRS.gov applied to the 2022 tax year be included in this value?

Basically just asking if I need to do some end-of-year math to make certain that my paycheck withholding rolls up to 110% of last year's tax, or if I could rely on for example a tax payment on Dec 26th, 2022 to get to 110%.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

It is total amount withheld/applied or paid as Estimated Tax payments that count.

Estimated Tax payment is the only payment you can make at this time.

It's pretty late to try changing W-4.

@barristan17 

Any federal tax payments, including withholding, actual estimated tax payments, and refunds applied to the following tax year.

the default method in TurboTax is to use 25% of your total withholding for each quarter + actual estimated tax payments timely made for each quarter. 

however, you can use actual federal withholding for each period

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies