Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Audit Risk Question "Your are a real estate professional and earned wages on a W-2"

I have a full time job and work parttime as a real estate agent. I receive a w2 from my job and a 1099 for my commissions. I have been doing both for many years and never received this error. Is there something I clicked that is generating this ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
evelynm
Employee Tax Expert

Audit Risk Question "Your are a real estate professional and earned wages on a W-2"

Mark - be sure to check on your Schedule C questions - specifically about the main source of income - if that is checked you need to remove that as your W-2 wages are your primary source of income.   Hope this helps.

Have an amazing day. Evelyn M (CPA 20+ years)
I would love a thumbs up 🙂 + Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
evelynm
Employee Tax Expert

Hello Mark:

You should be fine - you simply file your W-2 wages and your Schedule C for your real estate business.    You may have had this prompt come up due to individuals who may have been trying to not report income correctly - and trying to take business expenses to offset income earned as an employee.

Here is a link for further information:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/reporting-self-employment-business-income... 

I would love a thumbs up 🙂 + Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

@Mark818 thank you for the question.  I think we need some background here.

Real estate professional status can provide relief from the passive activity loss limitation rules and the 3.8% net income investment tax (“NIIT”), resulting in significant tax savings.

Rental activities are, per se, passive.  Passive activity loss (“PAL”) rules limit the ability to offset net losses from passive activities (like rental income) against other nonpassive sources of income (like wages). PALs may be deducted only to the extent of a taxpayer's passive activity income. The remainder is carried forward to be used when the passive activities generate a gain or upon disposal of the property or activity.  However, a real estate professional who materially participates in a real property trade or business is not subject to the PAL.

limitation rules and may use rental losses to offset other sources of nonpassive ordinary income.

So, what is the Real Estate Professional Test:

To qualify as a real estate professional, a taxpayer must satisfy the following tests:5

1. Perform more than 50% of services in real property trades or businesses (“50% test”), and
  2. Perform more than 750 hours of service in real property trades or businesses (“750 hours test”), and
  3. Materially participate in each rental activity (“material participation test”).

The IRS requires detailed records to support the hours worked in real estate compared to those worked in other businesses. The extent of an individual’s participation in an activity may be established by any reasonable means. Contemporaneous daily time reports, logs or similar documents are not required if the extent of such participation may be established by other reasonable means.

Now to your actual question.  As a real estate agent, I am assuming you are filing a Schedule C.   This is already an active business.  I am assuming you also have rental properties on a Schedule E, where the test above is shown.  While you are a real estate professional, you may not be one for purposes of the passive activity limitations.  If you meet the test above then you may have a higher risk of audit.  I would ask you to consider looking at the test carefully to see if you truly meet the standards.   If you have a full time W-2 job an additional 750 hours may be a difficult standard to meet. 

All the best,

Marc T.

TurboTax Live Select Time Tax Expert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I also have the message "Your business is your only source of income and you are trying to claim a loss for your business".  So this is not picking up that I have a W-2 job.  Hence the initial question. In 2022 I worked my fulltime job all year and only did a few real estate sales, however i still have all the annual licensing fees, website, dues, etc  that have been incurring for 18 of the last years and deducting as business expenses.

evelynm
Employee Tax Expert

Mark - be sure to check on your Schedule C questions - specifically about the main source of income - if that is checked you need to remove that as your W-2 wages are your primary source of income.   Hope this helps.

I checked through this and I dont see "Schedule C questions - specifically about the main source of income"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies