Solved: Assuming my Mexican mother-in-law qualifies for an ITIN, is it too late to apply for an ITIN in time for our 2017 tax return? She meets the definition of dependent for us

Assuming my Mexican mother-in-law qualifies for an ITIN, is it too late to apply for an ITIN in time for our 2017 tax return? She meets the definition of dependent for us

Please no need for detail on who qualifies; that info is everywhere. My question is about timing. My mother -in-law does not have to file a tax return, so this is just for claiming her as a dependent.  I'm assuming that, if we obtain an ITIN for her, it can't be retroactively applied toward an amended 2016 return, but I was hoping we could claim an exemption for the 2017 taxes. Thanks 

This, from IRS Instructions for Form W-7:

To receive an ITIN for the first time. If you’re applying for a new ITIN, complete and attach Form W-7 to your tax return when you file the tax return for which the ITIN is needed.

You can’t electronically file (e-file) a return using an ITIN in the calendar year the ITIN is assigned.

So you'll have to mail the return for the first time when you claim your mother-in-law:

Internal Revenue Service

ITIN Operation

P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342

Instructions for W-7, Application for ITIN

Form W-7

Wait to file your amended 2016 until you receive her ITIN.  I can't find anything on whether you can amend for a retroactive W-7.  I'm thinking not, but you can try.  

Internal Revenue Service

ITIN Operation

P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342

Form W-7