Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

asset depreciation category

I'm adding a rental asset for depreciation purposes. There are 3 categories to choose, "residential rental real estate", "Appliances, carpet and furniture", "land improvements". They depreciate over different periods of time.  For a bathroom remodel project that replaces the tiles, vanities, and shower doors, should I pick the first one or the second one or either is fine? For backyard fence and landscaping work, is "land improvements" the right category to use?

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 9.25.29 AM.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The bathroom remodel would be entered as "appliances, carpet, furnishings" and the landscaping would be Land Improvements.

However, you may wish to consider claiming the Safe Harbor Election for Small Taxpayers. If you choose this election, you can expense up to $10,000 in costs that would otherwise be depreciated over a very long time.

You'll find this election at the start of the Assets/Depreciation section from the Rental Summary screen for each rental property. If you have already visited this section, you may review your answers by choosing "No, I want to review..."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rayguy51

A remodel would be depreciated as appliances, carpet, furniture. Fencing and landscape would be under the land improvements only if they were non-maintenance items [painting, pruning, grass cutting services] - those would be direct expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies