taxnaivemike

Asked to upgrade from Free to Deluxe due to a single 1099-MISC. The cost of the program is 1/10 the income. Is there a way around this?

I served on a multi-day scientific review panel and, as a result, was provided a total honorarium of $600 which was reported on a 1099-MISC as nonemployee compensation.  This is my only 1099-MISC and TT wants me to upgrade to Deluxe for  $60 to report it, which I find irksome.  Does anyone know of a reasonable alternative or should I just suck it up and be grateful for being able to do such things as part of my job?

taxnaivemike

I just stumbled on to this, but if you don't declare, but have student loans to deduct, it will upgrade you to Deluxe for free! (This will only work this year, apparently)  I can then go back and add the 1099-MISC.