Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Articles indicate that you can donate an in-kind service, such as technical consulting. providing its service you provide professionally, any experience with this?

Most of what I read shows that an in-kind donation of a service if it is applicable to your normal work is deductible. For example as I techinical consulant I donate 50 hours of work to a 501(c3) at my normal rate. Should I be able to deduce the value of that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Articles indicate that you can donate an in-kind service, such as technical consulting. providing its service you provide professionally, any experience with this?

No, you cannot deduct the value of time or services to a charitable organization. 

You could get paid for a job, and turn around and give the money back, but that wouldn't be wise. The donation has to go on your personal tax return, and the income would be on the business return.  You would end up paying self-employment tax (15.3% on it).  Your best alternative is to do the work for charity and have the benefit of knowing that you did something good.

You can't deduct the value of your time or services, including:

• Blood donations to the American Red Cross or to blood banks, and 
  • The value of income lost while you work as an unpaid volunteer for a qualified organization.

See the top of page 8 IRS Publication 526

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the quick reply and info. It's not necessary, it's just a lot of hours so I wanted to know what my options were. 

@jeremy-pleasant While you will not receive a deduction for the donation of services, physical products and costs associated with donated experiences are eligible for deduction.

That is helpful to know. Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies