Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

haran

Health Insurance Penalty- Left USA in Mid 2017.

I stayed in USA from 2014 to Jul 2017 and I had Employer Sponsored Health Insurance coverage during my stay. I left USA in Jul-2017 and residing in foreign country till now, Do I need to pay tax penalty for not having health insurance for the remaining period of 2017(aug-dec)?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MicheleR

Health Insurance Penalty- Left USA in Mid 2017.

Are US citizens living or working abroad required to get affordable health care insurance or pay the penalty under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)?

If you are a US citizen or resident alien abroad and you meet the BONA FIDE RESIDENT TEST test or the Physical Presence Test  , you are considered to have essential minimum coverage under the Act and will not be required get affordable health care insurance or pay the penalty under the PPACA for the month or months that you qualify for either of these tests.

• You would answer the healthcare question as having healthcare part year
  • In the section that follows, you will choose the months you had coverage
  • This will prompt the next question, "Did anyone have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured?"
  • Choose all that apply specifically "Wasn't required to get insurance", "Resident of foreign country or U.S. territory" (See Image Below)

Continue through the healthcare questions. The system will tell you if the penalty was waived or not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies