Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are all employers required to pay half (7.65%) of FICA taxes?

I received a W2 from a large international organization, the World Bank, that does not withhold taxes for its employees. I was told I have to pay the full 15.3% of FICA taxes on my own. Is it possible that some organizations do not pay half of their employee's FICA taxes? If so, how do I report this on Turbotax to make sure my full share of FICA is being calculated?

Thanks for your help 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I did find this about the The World Bank Group see page 11   

They state "As an employee of an international organization, Social Security and Medicare taxes must be paid at the self‐employed rate, which is double the rate most other workers pay."

I did find this posting by The World Bank Group  Please see page 11.

They state   "As an employee of an international organization, Social Security and Medicare taxes must be paid at the self‐employed rate."

To enter the Social Security and Medicare taxes you will initially enter your W-2 without the Social Security and Medicare.

Continue through the program until you get to Let's check for uncommon situations.

Check Employed by a foreign government or international organization

Edited 02/26/2023

@anaisewilliams

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I did find this about the The World Bank Group see page 11   

They state "As an employee of an international organization, Social Security and Medicare taxes must be paid at the self‐employed rate, which is double the rate most other workers pay."

I did find this posting by The World Bank Group  Please see page 11.

They state   "As an employee of an international organization, Social Security and Medicare taxes must be paid at the self‐employed rate."

To enter the Social Security and Medicare taxes you will initially enter your W-2 without the Social Security and Medicare.

Continue through the program until you get to Let's check for uncommon situations.

Check Employed by a foreign government or international organization

Edited 02/26/2023

@anaisewilliams

Thank you! I'm not sure if it is a U.S. company, it's an international organization owed by member government states, but I work for the U.S.-based branch and received a W2. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You need to look on your W-2 form to see if there is any social security and Medicare wages reported in boxes 3 and 5 and the withholdings applicable to them in boxes 4 and 6. If not, then you will need to pay in the FICA and Medicare taxes as mentioned by @JohnB5677 

Thank you! My question wasn't about withholding but about whether international organizations are required to cover half of their employee's FICA taxes. It looks like they are not required to, and I found on TT if I click that the W2 is associated with an international organization, I'm charged the full 15.3% for FICA. I think that's correct? Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies