Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elauten
Returning Member

Applying Alabama state refund to 2024 taxes

When I had the choice to apply my state refund to my 2024 taxes, I foolishly thought it would apply to what I owed for federal and selected YES. 

I have NOT filed yet, but when I go back through the State section it will not ask me this question again so that I can change my mind and actually get my state refund. It shows the amount that's being applied to 2024 when I review all of my state taxes, but again no place to correct this error. 

I have a few hours before the filing deadline. Can someone please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
elauten
Returning Member

Figured it out myself... if you delete your current State return it will copy everything back over from Federal and you can start over. If you added anything else, you will lose that, but it was enough money to get back it was absolutely worth it.

I am working on NY state Taxes, but if you right click on the box that shows the amount you want refunded or rolled over to next year, and go to the Data Source, it should bring you to a Tax Payment or Estimated Tax Worksheet where you can edit the amount.
And no, you cannot use your State Refund for Federal or visa-versa.  I always just roll it over for next year and use any refund for my first Quarter Estimated Taxes.  It helps keep the Tax Penalties Monster away.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies