Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

apply late refund to 2024 estimate

I e-filed our Federal taxes early requesting some of expected refund to be applied to 2024.  But I checked Federal website and my tax-return has NOT be processed yet.  If the IRS doesn't process the return before April 15th, will the 2024 estimated  quarter 1 payment be considered late?  Possible penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

"If the IRS doesn't process the return before April 15th, will the 2024 estimated  quarter 1 payment be considered late?"

No.  The IRS already has this money.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

contact the iRS to see if they got it. if they did, then the overpayment applied to 2024 should be for the first quarter

Yes, I got email a month ago "Federal Return Accepted".  I'm just trying to verify that if it takes another month or later to be processed, will my 2024 first quarter estimated payment be considered on time or late?

Seems similar to mailing returns or estimated payments -- which I understand are counted on time on the date post-marked not the date received or processed.

dmertz
Level 15

"If the IRS doesn't process the return before April 15th, will the 2024 estimated  quarter 1 payment be considered late?"

No.  The IRS already has this money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies