Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Appliances purchased for Rental Property

Can I use the A de minimis safe harbor election for the appliances purchased for rental property?

If so How do I report this under Pro-Series? Will I need to setup an asset and than check any box to take 100% depreciation? or should I just show the total appliances cost under other expenses in schedule E? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

It is not a form.  It is a written statement that is included with your tax return.  In TurboTax, when you start to add fixed assets the program asks if you have assets that cost less than $2,500.  If you answer yes, the interview continues and you can make the election.  In Pro-Series it is probably a check box, but I don't know where.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can use the de minimus safe harbor to expense appliances bought for a rental property, as long as the appliance cost less than $2,500.  This is a TurboTax forum, not Pro-Series.   You make the election and then you enter the appliances costing under $2,500 each as an expense.  You do not set them up as assets.     

Thank you so much, but when you say “you make the election”, where do I make this election? Is there a form or check box?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

It is not a form.  It is a written statement that is included with your tax return.  In TurboTax, when you start to add fixed assets the program asks if you have assets that cost less than $2,500.  If you answer yes, the interview continues and you can make the election.  In Pro-Series it is probably a check box, but I don't know where.  

What reasons are there to not simplify record keeping this way even if qualified?

If the depreciation on the whole property is still greater than the rental income, will this expense carry over in the loss to the next year and be available once the income is greater than the depreciation?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, if the depreciation creates a net loss, you can carry that amount back to offset previous year's income and also carry any unused loss forward to deduct against future income. Section 179 losses, however, have limitations for recovery.

Passive loss carryovers also apply for rental expenses that exceed rental income. In a year with more income, there may be some benefit from expensing an asset that otherwise would be depreciated.

@Jim202010 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies