turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ted 3

Annuity Distribution where box 2a does not reflect cost of the annuity contract

I purchased an annuity contract for 85,000 in 2009. The contract fully matured and I took a distribution in 2023 of $127,000. I will take the remaining balance in 2024 of $107,000. The 1099r for 2023 reflects box 1 of 127,000 and box 2a of $127,000. Under the general rule I have calculated the taxable portion to be $81,000. Since the amount I will use is different than the amount reported on the 1099r is there a way to use TT to disclose the use of the general rule so it won't cause problems with the IRS when the amounts are different?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Annuity Distribution where box 2a does not reflect cost of the annuity contract

The taxable amount in box 2a is correct.  When you take distributions from a non-qualified annuity, any interest or earnings within the annuity will be distributed before the premium or principal amount.  It is taxed on the LIFO basis: Last in, First out.  Since your $85,000 investment amount grew to $234,000, your $127,000 distribution is all earnings with no return of principal.  The "exclusion ratio" comes in to play when you annuitize, or start receiving a stream of guaranteed payments.   

There is an exception to the earnings first rule for contributions made to annuity contracts prior to 8/14/82. These contributions are distributed on a first in, first out (FIFO) basis and the owner is not taxed until such contributions are fully recovered.  But that would not apply in this case. 

If you change the amounts on your 1099-R, it won't agree with the information the IRS has received.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies