turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

legotown

Annual gift tax exclusion through online transfers

My father does not use checks.  He gifted me the $18,000 annual exclusion through this process...  He transferred the funds from his individual account to our joint account.  I then transferred it from our joint account to my personal account.   Please confirm it it OK to have done it that way.

That said, the bigger question is this..  Can he make a gift to my wife through a similar process, but that still involves me?  (From his personal account, transfer to my father and I's joint account, and then I transfer it from there to an account I own jointly with my wife)  Or could this somehow be counted as a double git to me?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Annual gift tax exclusion through online transfers

It is the intention that matters.  He could even write a single $36,000 check, as long as it was to both of you (although 2 separate checks would be harder to misinterpret).  He should write a gift letter explaining his intentions, give you a copy and keep a copy.  Ultimately he is responsible for paying the gift tax (if necessary), although in rare circumstances, gift tax is due and the giver doesn't pay it, the IRS can sometimes come after the recipient. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies