turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

An error in the Indiana form IT-40. You typed “filing as surviving spouse” in the spot I needed to sign the tax return and in the spot where my spouse would sign is blank

My wife passed away in July 13, 2023.
That "filing as surviving spouse" should be on where she would have sigh
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

An error in the Indiana form IT-40. You typed “filing as surviving spouse” in the spot I needed to sign the tax return and in the spot where my spouse would sign is blank

What you describe is consistent with the Indiana instructions.

Indiana IT-40 Full-Year Resident Individual Income Tax Booklet, page 7, here states:

Signing the Deceased Individual’s Tax Return 

If a joint return is filed by the surviving spouse, the surviving spouse should sign his or her own name and after the signature write: “Filing as Surviving Spouse.” 

An executor or administrator appointed to the deceased’s estate must file and sign the return (even if this isn’t the final return), indicating their relationship after their signature (e.g. administrator). 

If there is no executor, or if an administrator has not been appointed, the person filing the return should sign and give their relationship to the deceased (e.g. “John Doe, nephew”). Only one tax return should be filed on behalf of the deceased.

The Indiana Department of Revenue may ask for a copy of the death certificate.  Keep a copy with your tax records.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies