Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amount due disappeared after requesting extension

(Desktop/CD Version question):  My return showed an amount due after entering all information.  After choosing to file an extension and printing that form, it changed to $0 (none due, no refund).  After running final review, it still shows nothing due and no refund.

When I look at the generated 1040, the original amount due shows under line 33, "Total other payments and refundable credits".

So, does this mean the program is assuming I've mailed in my payment, and has adjusted my amount due to reflect the payment?  In other words, I still need to send in that amount?

If so, may I submit that this is a terrible feature in the program?  I may need to refer back to the program, either this year or in some future year, and see what I paid or was refunded.  Changing the displayed balance to zero is not helpful, and will only create confusion.  I don't believe the program has ever done this in the past.  It needs to be changed back, to reflect the amount paid or received, permanently.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

Amount due disappeared after requesting extension

The balance amount will show on line 10 of Schedule 3.  If it is listed on that line, then TurboTax assumes that the balance was paid.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies