turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

American Rescue Plan Act Refund - I Filed But Haven't Paid Yet

I completed & e-filed my 2021 taxes.  I had taxable unemployment income, and a tax liability of roughly $3k due.  I was right about to pay the $3k via EFTPS, but before doing so, I found out about the changes in the American Rescue Plan Act that exempt the first $10k of unemployment from taxation - which should translate to a roughly $1000 reduction in my tax due.  Many articles (i.e. https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/news/2021/apr/automatic-irs-refund-tax-mistakenly-paid-on-unemp...) say not to file an amended return, just wait & the IRS should automatically credit you for the difference.  However, I'm in a bit of an odd place as I've already *filed,* but not yet *paid.*  Should I:

* Try to figure my new liability, and pay that amount - i.e. $2k? However, I can't think of any way to determine exactly how they'll handle this, & thus the precise amount they'll want - and my concern is if they calculate a slightly different amount than me, I don't want to get penalized. Or worse, if they just see that my return says I owe $3k but I pay $2k, it will be flagged.

* Pay the full $3k anyway, and the IRS will eventually send me back the $1k? It seems a bit unnecessary to give them a free $1000 loan though, especially considering I *know* that doing so would be overpaying, & I have o way of knowing how long it'll actually take them to get around to the refund.

* Another option?

It's a bit absurd that they changed this a month before taxes were due. If I'd not yet filed or paid, it'd be obvious what to do. If I'd both filed & paid, I could only wait.  But given I've filed but not yet paid...not really sure if there's a way I can avoid knowingly overpaying & handing over $1k needlessly, for an indeterminate period of time.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

personally, and I can't point to anything on the IRS website on this, but since you have the desktop edition, your software has been updated for this issue. 

I would pay what the software says now (and not what it said when you filed).  The IRS is not going to penalize you for money you do not owe, even if your account appears to be 'short' from May 17th until this issue is resolved and credited to your account.  Save the new tax return as your documentation on what you did and why.   

It'll work itself out by May (if filing single) or July (if filing joint) - that is what the IRS stated last week  

>I would pay what the software says now (and not what it said when you filed). The IRS is not going to penalize you for money you do not owe, even if your account appears to be 'short' from May 17th until this issue is resolved and credited to your account. Save the new tax return as your documentation on what you did and why.

That's a really good idea, as far as how to figure out the exact amount I should owe. I just realized that they also pushed back the payment deadline till May 17th, so maybe I'll hold off a little longer in hopes of clarity.  Can any CPAs chime in, if they think this is an OK approach (to pay the lower amount, but without amending)?

Thanks! 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies